The start of a new year is when many MBA students and graduates reflect on their careers and consider fresh opportunities; this might be even more true this year, given the recent layoffs in the tech space.
As you think about what is next, I encourage you to check out the following relevant articles that caught the attention of mbaMission’s Career Coaches. (As you will see, the Harvard Business Review has a lot of great content. Consider following the publication on LinkedIn or subscribing to its newsletter so you can keep abreast of workplace, leadership, and job search advice.)
Self-Reflection and Career Development
- How to Deal with Layoff Anxiety: Learn five strategies for managing your emotions when facing a potential layoff.
- How to Write a Goodbye Email to Your Colleagues: Gather insights on how to craft a message with the right tone—regardless of why you are leaving the organization.
- Women in the Workplace 2022: Learn why women leaders are stepping away from the workplace and the implications for companies. Hint: It is not because women are less ambitious.
- How to Ask for Favors Without Wearing Out Your Network: The key is reciprocity. Think about the other person and their needs. This article offers specific tips on mastering the art of reciprocity and how to use it during your job search.
- How to Write a Thank You Email After an Interview: Read practical tips on crafting a compelling post-interview thank you note. And use the task as a good way to reflect on your fit for the opportunity. If writing the email is overly difficult, ask yourself whether the job is really the right one for you.
- 10 Red Flags to Watch Out for in a Job Interview: Candidates can often be so eager to leave their current job (or to land a new one after a layoff) that they miss (or ignore) signs of a suboptimal employment situation. Do not let that be you!