In this blog series, our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.
As the year (and the decade!) comes to an end, we at mbaMission encourage you to take the opportunity to reflect and set some new professional goals for yourself. Whether your 2020 career goals include clarifying your career interests, securing a new job, or advancing your career, our blog posts provide overarching advice and key action steps.
Here are our ten favorite mbaMission career blog posts from the past five years:
10. Position Yourself for Success at Work: Getting ahead at work requires more than just excelling at the duties of your job. Learn the key questions to ask yourself to assess the likelihood of career progression.
9. Interviews Are Not a Test: Your mind-set influences your success! Read more about how to create (or reframe) your mind-set to excel in interviews.
8. Three Tests for Your Resume: Weak to Wow!: Your resume has the potential to make a lasting impression. Follow our simple principles to craft bullet points that stand out on your resume.
7. Answering the Dreaded “Failure” Question: Having a clear strategy and structure for answering tough interview questions increases your likelihood of impressing a hiring manager.
6. Defining Your Career Goals: Trying to answer the question “What should I do with my life?” can often become overwhelming. Check out our step-by-step approach to gaining clarity on this important question.
5. The Awesome Email Introduction: Build and maintain your network by making meaningful connections. Thoughtfully introducing people in your network benefits both parties and will eventually come back to benefit you as well!
4. Awesome Informational Interviews: Your greatest tool for gaining advice about a new industry, ensuring your resume is read, preparing for an interview, and securing a new job is the informational (networking) meeting.
3. Crafting (or Updating) Your Pitch: Any time you meet somebody new—whether in a personal or professional context—that person will form an impression of you. Be prepared to make that impression a positive one!
2. Strategies for Keeping on Track: Many of you probably plan to make New Year’s resolutions—and some are likely career related. Read our tips for holding yourself accountable to them.
1. Assess Your Performance: The beginning of a new year is the ideal time to establish good career management habits. Schedule time each week to reflect on your performance and identify ways you can continue to improve.
On the mbaMission blog, we share more advice on these topics and other key issues (including writing cover letters and building target lists of companies). Search our blog using the keywords “Career Advice” or “Career News.” We invite you to let us know which are your favorite posts and to share blog topic suggestions for our 2020 career posts.
For more details and advice specific to your personal situation, schedule a complimentary 30-minute career consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches.
Have a happy and safe holiday season!
Have you been admitted to business school? If so, do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via a free 30-minute consultation!