In this blog series, our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.
We all know we need to have a profile on LinkedIn that accurately represents our brand by highlighting who we are as a professionals, what we are really good at, and what motivates us. But how can we get even more value from our LinkedIn profile?
We at mbaMission recommend using LinkedIn to gain the following benefits:
- Educate yourself on target companies and industries. Follow all target companies and key influencers in your areas of interest. Doing so will put anything those organizations post into your news feed, including general information on those companies, their position in the marketplace, industry trends, and recent hiring decisions and potential openings.
- Find job opportunities and internal company contacts. Go to the Search box at the top left and type in “hiring + [location] + [job title].” Narrow your search results to the “Content” category, and consider reaching out to the person who posted the notification to learn more about the role before applying.
- Reinforce your brand. Like or comment on posts or articles made by your network, target companies, or key influencers. Doing this two to three times per month keeps you top of mind and helps reinforce your areas of interest with your network.
- Attract recruiters. Use keywords from your target roles in your headline, summary statement, or previous job title; this is where they will make the biggest impact in the LinkedIn search ranking. Select “On” for your “Career Interests,” and complete the information regarding target job titles as well as location and industry preferences. You may want to check out JobScan’s complimentary LinkedIn Optimization tool.
- Connect with alumni. Check out the alumni resource on LinkedIn to access information about where alumni from your educational institutions live and work, what they do, and what they studied. This can help you (re)connect with people with similar backgrounds who are working in your target roles.
Have you been admitted to business school? If so, do you want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via a free 30-minute consultation!