At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the admissions process. Each week, we highlight one member of our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.
Before earning her MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB), Debbie Choy was an investment analyst with JP Morgan, and previously, a management consultant with Booz & Co. After graduating, she worked in product marketing in the medical technology industry, where she developed an expertise in the planning and execution of product launches, product line management, and marketing strategy. In addition, Debbie was actively involved in recruiting business school graduates for her employer and led an MBA recruiting program for a fast-growing health care company, focusing on the top programs. She also presented at career fairs and directly interviewed candidates. Debbie is a co-founder of ALIST Magazine, which showcases Asian American corporate leaders and success stories. In this capacity, she oversaw a team of six staff writers and produced a regular column called “Women At Work” for the publication’s Web site. Debbie graduated cum laude from Vassar College with a BA in international studies. She grew up in Singapore and speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese, as well as conversational French.
Received MBA from: Stanford GSB
Undergraduate field of study: International studies
Fields worked in before mbaMission: Management consulting, finance, health care
Working style: Casual, creative
Five things Debbie wants her clients to know about her:
- I grew up in Singapore and speak Mandarin, Cantonese, and a bit of French. I have conducted client calls in all three languages, although for the purposes of the essays, we still write in English!
- My professional background is in finance, management consulting, and health care (product management). I love working with clients from these industries since I understand the work they do, the “lingo,” and the passion that drives them.
- I especially love helping international clients translate their fascinating background into language that resonates with the admissions committee. My own international background enables me to help my clients bridge multiple cultures in their own distinct way!
- I am always encouraging my clients to look at themselves and their experiences with a different perspective. This self-awareness will help them not only in the application process, but also in future job interviews.
- I am constantly learning from my clients’ increasingly complex jobs. Making my clients “break it down” for me enables them to explain their jobs in an accessible way to the admissions committee!
What clients are saying about Debbie:
“I honestly don’t think I would have gotten into Stanford without the help of Debbie. I was hesitant about using a consultant at first just because of the price, but I have to say that it was worth it. For me, it kept me on track with deadlines, forced me to brainstorm and think through my experiences, and in general helped my essays be better than I ever thought that they could be. Everything exceeded all my expectations.” —Stanford GSB Admit
“I highly recommend working with Debbie Choy at mbaMission after applying to business school this past January. Debbie gave expert insight about each step of the application process and provided guidance on how to write the best essay for each school. Even with my unpredictable work schedule, Debbie was extremely patient and understanding with me and ensured that my applications were the strongest they could be.” —Business School Admit
“I did not have the best GMAT score, and I had hoped to overcome that obstacle with a strong resume and strong essays. Debbie from mbaMission helped me to write stellar essays. We worked for a couple months back and forth via emails and a couple phone calls. She helped me to get specific and concise with my experiences highlighting the stories that made a real impact. Debbie emphasized a ‘show don’t tell’ attitude in my essays. It took some time and effort, but it paid off. I ended up with multiple offers from the top schools I had applied to, each one with a scholarship or a Graduate Assistantship offer. I attribute much of my offers to the work of mbaMission and Debbie.” —Business School Admit
Watch Debbie’s video:
Do you want to speak with Debbie about your business school prospects? Sign up for a free 30-minute consultation here.