At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the MBA admissions process. Each week, we highlight one admissions advisor on our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.
With an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, a BE in mechanical engineering from the Government College of Engineering in Aurangabad, India, and an ME in mechanical and aerospace engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Harshad Mali has enjoyed a successful career as both an engineer and an entrepreneur. In addition to having worked in design and product development within the automotive industry for the truck manufacturer Navistar, he has traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, and South America to evaluate and create supply chains for critical hardware. After graduating from Chicago Booth, Harshad co-founded a consulting start-up to address the operational and product commercialization challenges faced by small- and medium-sized manufacturing companies. His corporate and entrepreneurial experiences have given him valuable insight into the various career paths MBAs pursue. An avid mentor and coach, Harshad has participated in university career fairs, discussing professional goals and career paths with graduating students, and has also freelanced as an MBA essay consultant.
Received MBA from: Chicago Booth
Undergraduate field of study: Engineering
Fields worked in before mbaMission: Engineering, entrepreneurship, and consulting
Working style: Direct, friendly, upbeat, and supportive
Five things Harshad wants his clients to know about him:
- As an engineer who always strived to endow complex products with an aesthetic charm, I bring the same “creative logic” to my work with clients. I first elicit substance from my clients and then help wrap their stories into beautifully precise applications.
- I am Mr. Current Affairs. Despite my busy schedule, I am always on top of existential issues and events in business, finance, international politics, sports, and technology. This not only helps me to understand my clients quickly, but also allows me to simplify their work experiences for their end consumers—the members of business school admissions committees.
- Although I work with all clients, I especially enjoy working with engineers, entrepreneurs, consultants, social workers, and clients from non-traditional backgrounds. Having grown up in India, worked in the United States, and traveled the world extensively, I can help convey international perspectives in a comprehensible manner, one that truly resonates with admissions committees.
- My direct but upbeat style helps clients understand their strengths clearly and develop a positive perspective on their weaknesses, resulting in an enhanced engagement with the application process.
- Storytelling is my passion. I am currently writing a novel (in my spare time), so I am constantly updating my inventory of characters, personalities, and traits by meeting and talking to people. Because of this, I often end up motivating clients to introspect deeper, and they often end up with a crystallized realization of who they really are and what makes them unique.
What clients are saying about Harshad:
“Harshad’s candid feedback, support, and knowledge will give you confidence in the entire process, from choosing schools to after the interview, and receiving offers. Harshad was with me every step of the way. The price tag on the school packages is a hefty one, but my experience with Harshad and mbaMission exceeded my expectations and helped me bridge the gap and translate my military career into something of value to the admission committees. Applying to an MBA program and making the transition can be grueling and daunting, so don’t do it alone. I recommend Harshad to anyone.” —Michigan Ross Admit (via GMAT Club)
“I finally got admitted to MIT Sloan Fellows. This was something that I couldn’t think was within my reach when I started thinking about applying to B-Schools. I can safely say that this was only made possible with Harshad’s help. I strongly recommend him to any B-School aspirant. And if you are from South Asia, Harshad should be your top choice.” —MIT Sloan Admit (via GMAT Club)
“Harshad’s analytical reasoning, friendly and genuine personality is what separated him in the sea of consultants out there!” —MIT Sloan Admit
“Harshad helped me stitch a story I never thought I had. His extreme attention to detail and ability to simplify things meant I could not only plug holes, but also stand out. Hats off to him!” —B-School Applicant
Watch Harshad’s video:
Do you want to speak with Harshad about your business school prospects? Sign up for a free 30-minute consultation here.