In this new blog series, our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.
As you look to embark on a new job search, we strongly encourage you to create a job search plan to maximize your effectiveness, track your progress, and maintain your motivation. A comprehensive plan will include the following steps and questions to ask yourself at each step in the process:
STEP 1: Create a timeline for your job search process and include weekly job search goals.
- How much time will I need for each job search step?
- How many hours will I/do I have to devote to the job search each week?
- What materials do I need to create before engaging in my job search (e.g., updating your resume/LinkedIn profile, drafting your networking pitch)?
- What are my milestones/decision points in the process?
- How will I keep myself on track? What is the best format or system for tracking my goals and progress?
STEP 2: Conduct a self-assessment. Identify and write down your potential target roles.
- What drives my job satisfaction?
- What is my target role—industry, function, location?
- What type of firm do I want to work for (e.g., size of organization, culture)?
- What are the skills/experience required for my target role?
STEP 3: Brainstorm and create a list of eight to ten target companies.
- What companies am I interested in? Why?
- How can I identify other companies of interest?
- Where can I identify current job postings?
STEP 4: Prepare for and begin networking.
- What are my goals for networking?
- How will I connect with my target employers?
- What resources will I use to identify leads at my target companies?
- What relationships can I leverage to connect with people at my target companies?
- How will I approach potential contacts?
- What is my networking pitch?
- What questions should I ask during networking conversations?
- How will I track my conversations?
STEP 5: Update your resume and write cover letters.
- Do I have a tailored resume and cover letter for the industry and function I am interested in?
STEP 6: Prepare for your interviews.
- What is the format/style of the interviews in my target areas of interest?
- What is my personal brand? What are my two to three key selling points?
- What are the five to seven accomplishment stories I will tell during interviews to showcase my relevant skill set?
The Career Coaches at mbaMission are available to help you overcome any obstacles you encounter in the process of creating or executing your job search plan. Click here to request your free half-hour consultation with an mbaMission Career Coach today!