In this new blog series, “MBA Career News,” our mbaMission Career Coaches offer invaluable advice and industry-related news to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. To schedule a free half-hour consultation with one of our mbaMission Career Coaches, click here.
Concerned international business school students often ask us a myriad of questions about how best to fulfill their career aspirations in the United States. What challenges will they face in constructing their job applications? What can they do now to simplify the process? In this blog post, mbaMission Career Coach Elissa Harris identifies some of the major obstacles international students must often overcome when seeking post-MBA roles in the United States and offers her insightful Checklist for Success as a tool for understanding—and in some cases, addressing—those challenges.
Challenges for International Students
Checklist for Success
International students with the following qualities and experiences tend to be most successful at obtaining post-MBA positions in the United States. A strong international candidate
- has spent significant time in the United States, either in college or at work
- demonstrates comfort with networking
- possesses strong interpersonal skills and an ability to form relationships
- has pre-MBA experience with multinational companies; has worked with global teams and conducted business in English
- grew up in an English-speaking non-U.S. country
- has family members already residing in the United States
- understands challenges but also demonstrates self-awareness and an eagerness to learn/be successful
- has researched career options and is interested in industries that tend to hire international students
- expresses realistic career goals (e.g., not looking to change industry, function, and location all at the same time)
- is knowledgeable about the H-1B visa process
Have you been admitted to business school and want to get a head start on defining your career goals? Do you need help preparing for job interviews or learning how to effectively network with your target employers? Or maybe you want to be a top performer in your current role but are unsure how to maximize your potential. Let an mbaMission Career Coach help via a free 30-minute consultation!