At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the admissions process. Each week, we highlight one member of our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.
Nisha Trivedi earned her BA in communication from the University of Pennsylvania and her MBA from the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. A deep interest in understanding the consumer inspired her to initially pursue a career in marketing research, and after college, she held positions at Time Inc., Rosetta, and KPMG LLP in New York City. A desire to transition into brand management led Nisha to Ross, where she was an active member of the Marketing Club, organizing mock internship interviews for her peers during her first year and serving as the club’s vice-president of communications during her second year. After graduating with her MBA, Nisha worked for several years in brand management in San Francisco at Big Heart Pet Brands (now part of The J.M. Smucker Company) before joining mbaMission. She most enjoys creating brand positioning and crafting tailored messaging that speaks to consumers’ needs, which is a skill she applies in helping her clients “market” themselves to their dream MBA programs. Nisha also has a longstanding commitment to philanthropy—she has been a volunteer team leader for New York Cares and now sits on the board of directors of The Shanti Project, a San Francisco–based nonprofit that enhances the health, quality of life, and well-being of people with serious illnesses.
Received MBA from: Michigan Ross
Undergraduate field of study: Communication
Fields worked in before mbaMission: Marketing Research, Brand Management
Working style: Collaborative and focused, but with moments of lightness.
Five things you want your clients to know about you:
- My background in marketing is beneficial in two ways: (1) It gives me the ability to deeply understand my audience and tell an engaging story, (2) Though I truly enjoy working with clients of all backgrounds and aspirations, I especially love working with clients in marketing (or who hope to transition to marketing) since I deeply understand their skills and motivations.
- As I have worked in several different industries (publishing, consulting, financial services, consumer packaged goods), I’m familiar with a variety of company cultures.
- I have an absolute passion for hearing clients’ personal stories and helping them figure out how best to share the most meaningful ones in their applications.
- Many applicants love to travel and volunteer. I’ve done a fair amount of both (and also have lived in several US regions), so I can assist with effectively communicating the essences of these experiences to the AdCom to show how they’ve led to personal and professional growth.
- My favorite quotation is “The most important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one’s work seriously and taking one’s self seriously. The first is imperative, and the second disastrous.” (Margot Fonteyn) While the application process can be arduous, I also think it’s best approached with a healthy sense of balance and humor.
“Nisha was very helpful. Nisha had read all of my information ahead of time, which was very helpful and made us able to dive right in. I also felt like she was interested and really tried to connect with my experience and goals/aspirations.” —B-school applicant
“I’m highly grateful for your help. I think I was able to pick up a lot from our conversation and from your analysis.” —B-school applicant
Want a free consultation with Nisha? Sign up here.