At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the admissions process. Each week, we highlight one member of our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.
While at Harvard Business School (HBS), Monica Okrah was a board member of Harbus News Corporation and a member of the team that wrote the first edition of 65 Successful Harvard Business School Application Essays, a collection of essays and critiques that provides an inside view into the broad range of writing styles and creative content in successful HBS application essays. Before joining mbaMission in 2006, Monica was a member of a start-up team at Red Ventures, an Internet marketing firm that launched an e-commerce business as the direct-to-consumer marketing partner of Sirius Satellite Radio. Prior to business school, Monica was an associate at Rice Financial Products Company, an innovative derivatives boutique in New York City and an investment banking analyst at JPMorgan Securities, where she assisted nonprofit hospitals with their capital market needs. Monica volunteers with the HBS Alumni Club of Charlotte, North Carolina, and serves as the chief communications officer.
Received MBA from: Harvard Business School
Undergraduate field of study: Finance with a minor in psychology
Fields worked in before mbaMission: Investment banking and online marketing
Working style: Warm and fuzzy with candor sprinkled in
Five things you want your clients to know about you:
1. “I’ve been at mbaMission since 2006, so I have deep experience in guiding people through the application process.”
2. “I love helping people see how awesome they are. Most of my clients think they are underdogs. It’s so fulfilling when I can break through and help them see their differentiating strengths.”
3. “I have professional experience in finance and online marketing, however, I have a soft spot for the arts and nonprofits. I have a background in dance and theater, and I’m currently a founding board member for a nonprofit thrift store. Because of my diverse interests, I enjoy working with applicants from both traditional and nontraditional backgrounds.”
4. “I sometimes dream about my clients’ essays. I’m constantly reflecting on ways to make my clients’ stories better (sometimes at odd hours).”
5. “I not only teach my clients about the business school application process, but also learn from their experiences and ambitious goals. It keeps me motivated!”
What past clients are saying:
“I cannot give any higher praise to mbaMission and my consultant Monica Okrah. Without Monica’s help, I truly do not think I would have been accepted to any of the schools I applied to. With her help, I’ve been admitted to every one I applied to: Harvard, Stanford and Wharton—this is absolutely no coincidence.” — Stanford GSB Admit
“I highly recommend mbaMission and Monica Okrah in particular. From the beginning, Monica took the time to get to know me and worked with me to draft an application that reflected who I was. I never felt pressured to write anything that compromised who I am, which is very important to me. Monica was very easy to talk to, genuinely cared about my application and even helped me come up with ideas for essays that I never would have thought of on my own. With her assistance, I was able to secure very generous scholarships at the schools I applied to. I don’t think this would have been possible without the help of mbaMission and Monica.” — Wharton Admit
“Without Monica Okrah, I would not be attending B-school this year (let alone a top 10 school), period. Monica pushed me and helped me make it even better, and the same can be said for every step of the application process. I wholeheartedly recommend Monica Okrah—words honestly cannot describe how pleased I am and how thankful I am that I used her services.” — NYU Stern Admit
Watch Monica’s Video:
Want a free consultation with Monica? Sign up here.