At mbaMission, our consultants are more than just graduates of the world’s top MBA programs—we are also expert communicators who possess an unparalleled knowledge of the business school admissions process. Each week, we highlight one member of our team who has committed his/her professional life to helping you get into business school.
Tanya Gaskins received a BA in economics and management and sociology from Beloit College, graduating Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude, and later earned her MBA from the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, where she was a student interviewer for the admissions office. After graduating from Darden, Tanya joined PricewaterhouseCoopers, where she provided business strategy and start-up incubation services, helping clients write business plans and launch organizations. Later at IBM, she focused on organizational change management, business process improvement, and project management. Partnering with clients, Tanya implemented innovative solutions to transform organizations and maximize their effectiveness. She also managed the IBM Industry Academy, through which she collaborated with experts worldwide to develop cross-industry solutions, managed a support program with teams in 14 growth market countries, and directed a mentoring program in China. Tanya has extensive strategic communications expertise, having executed numerous client communications plans, authored articles for client publications, and crafted senior executive communications at IBM. Through years of mentoring individuals about their consulting careers, Tanya has realized that she most loves advising others on their personal strategy. She is passionate about helping people succeed and achieving their goal of attending business school.
Received MBA from: University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business
Undergraduate field of study: Economics, Management and Sociology
Fields worked in before mbaMission: Management Consulting (over 20 years!) with various clients from the public and private sectors, along with Internal Corporate Strategy
Working style: Supportive, strategic, organized, and collegial
Hometown: Edgerton, Wisconsin (now living in Ashburn, Virginia)
5 things you want your clients to know about you:
1. Built her career advising others on their strategy as a management consultant, and loves doing the same for business school candidates
2. Views working relationship as a trusted partnership; is dedicated to your success
3. Loves getting to know clients, understanding the details of their experiences, and helping craft stories that are genuine, interesting, and compelling
4. Takes great pride in being a coach, sounding board, and motivator, pushing clients to stay on track and create the best applications possible
5. Served as a student interviewer for the Darden Admissions Office
Want a free consultation with Tanya? Sign up here.