B-School Chart of the Week: Are You a Career Changer?

Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes be helpful in simplifying the many differences between the various MBA programs. Each week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

We recently surveyed a number of visitors to our site to get a feel for the concerns, plans, and mind-sets of this season’s MBA applicants. Now the results are in, and for those who are curious about their fellow applicants’ views on business school, we will be sharing some of the collected data in our B-School Chart of the Week blog series.

Business school applicants typically pursue their MBA degree for one of two reasons: to advance in their current career or to change careers altogether. Naturally, then, we asked respondents to our survey this year the following question: “Do you plan to return to your pre-business industry after graduation, or will you change careers?”

This year, 64.1% of our survey takers indicated that their goal is to change their career path, while the remaining 35.9% conveyed their intent to stay in the same industry. In contrast, the responses in 2013 were split perfectly evenly—with 50% of survey participants planning to switch careers and 50% intending to stick with their pre-MBA field and/or role.Will You Change Careers Chart

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Deadlines

  • INSEAD (Round 4)
  • UNC Kenan-Flagler (Round 3)
  • USC Marshall (Round 3)
  • Carnegie Mellon Tepper (Round 3)
  • London Business School (Round 3)
  • Cambridge Judge (Round 4)
  • NYU Stern (Round 4)

Click here to see the complete deadlines

2020–2021 MBA Essay Analysis

Click here for the 2019–2020 MBA Essay Analysis

MBA Program Updates