Blog

Beyond the MBA Classroom: First Coffee at Darden

When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

A long-standing tradition at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, First Coffee is a daily event that takes place during the break between the first and second classes of the day. First Coffee is a time for students, faculty and administrators to relax and chat in an informal setting. Typically, the entire school gathers for First Coffee, which is held under the cupola in Saunders Hall, so it is a prime opportunity for announcements, award presentations, cultural events and even the occasional performance. The weekly Cold Call Chronicle student newspaper—which includes the very popular “Chips & Quips” column, highlighting amusing comments that students have made in classes that week—comes out at First Coffee. One second-year Darden student told mbaMission that although he had not thought much about First Coffee before entering Darden, looking back on his first year, “It is one of the best parts of the experience.” He added that it is also a good opportunity to learn more from the occasional recruiters in attendance about the inside workings of various companies that occasionally sponsor First Coffee.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Darden and 13 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Deadlines

• NYU Stern (Round 1)
  • USC Marshall (Round 1)
  • Cambridge Judge (Round 2)
  • Duke Fuqua (Round 2)
  • Oxford Saïd (Round 2)
  • INSEAD (Round 2)
  • NYU Stern (Round 2)

Click here to see the complete deadlines

2020–2021 MBA Essay Analysis

Click here for the 2019–2020 MBA Essay Analysis

MBA Program Updates